Thursday 1 January 2015

There it was, gone.

There goes 2014. As far as wargaming life in general it went with more than a whimper than a bang.
 In the intervening three months since my last post I have painted some more figures -mostly 6mm. At Broadside in June I brought some figures from Adler and I managed to paint 2 regiments of SYW Prussian infantry plus attached artillery and a regiment of Kuirassiers and very nice little chaps they are as well. I'm trying -on and off- to build up at least two armies which at the moment are Prussian and Austrian. In total they added another 206 figures meaning that I managed to put some paint on 692 with the remainder being 10mm.
  In November I had an extremely quiet month wargaming wise as I joined a group called NaNoWriMo which stands for the National November Write Month. The basic idea is to see if you can write a 50,000 word first draft of a book in the month of November, breaking it down meant 1,666 words per day. I managed to get about 90% of the novel completed and passed the target on 29th November. Since then I have written another 9,000 words on it but the first draft is still not quite complete.
  I also joined the 6mm Napoleonic Wargaming forum and have been reasonably active on there.

http://perfectsixps.proboards.com/

  While on the forum I happened to mention my Mini Figs 5mm Napoleonic armies made up of blocks of figures and that got the old tangential thought processes working. Since then I have written up the old set of rules we used back in the 1970's known as the Flinch Point Rules, written by a friend of mine, sadly no longer with us, Matt Love. He wrote the basic mechanisms of the rules which have since been copied by a number of modern rule writers while the rest of us playtested and added our thoughts and ideas. With this in mind I intended to have a solo game but then came up against a problem. All my buildings had been lost in the pulling down of the Circle Community Centre in Brum. Undeterred, I dug out a book I have which has a fantastic picture of the Battle of Fieidland by the contemporary artist Simeon Fort in it. Using that as my guide, I am making some buildings with the traditional beam and infill construction method. I have a 120 x 120 base completed and another 15 buildings at various stages on the production line. Hopefully, some pics and maybe an AAR will follow.
   Some good news to end the year on. The Irons managed to end 2014 in the top half of the table. COYI!
   So really, that is about it. 2014 was a quiet year but hopefully 2015 will be different, we will see.

No comments: