Sunday 20 February 2011

No names, no pack drill

There is a bloke up in the north east of this fair country who carries the blame for all of this. I was catching up on a few blogs that I check periodically and came across his postings about some modern 6mm Belgians, Russians and Brits that he was doing as another slight diversion. I took one look at them and thought, those are nicely done and a bit inspirational and as I've got a mess of that stuff, I'll dig it out and have a look. Dug it out, had a look and decided that they needed rebasing. Now, I do not undertake rebasing lightly, in fact as I posted on the WD3 forum the other week 'I would rather gnaw my own leg off than rebase figures'. Then I had a closer look and thought sod it, I'll go all the way and repaint the little bu**ers...and it's all his fault.

So on my workbench now, (which by the way I will not photograph because it is a perfect example of pastoral squalour but I know exactly where everything is and if I tidy it I'll never be able to find anything), I now have 6 15mm Sassy bolt-throwers plus crews, the army command element of 5 Sassy Catty's and Clibs cavalry, some more Hunnic Mongols and 2 recently completed 6mm tank regiments -one of Chieftains and the other of Challengers. The 6mm stuff all has brand new paint jobs and is on nice new bases, and finally, a half painted SP Artillery regiment, all organised to the Combined Arms Ruleset. Each tank regiment has 13 tanks plus command and supporting stuff, totalling 18 or 19 models per regiment. Following this I have a mechanised infantry battalion to do with 12 Warriors, an equal number of infantry bases plus all the ancillary FV432 b's and p's. After that its the towed artillery regiment, then the command elements for the whole lot. Then, once that lot is done, it's the turn of the Russians...and I say again, it's all his bl**dy fault. He shouldn't post such pics of nice models where poor, unsuspecting wargamers like myself can look at them and get all carried away on the 'Oh they're nice, mine could look like that' bandwagon.

And of course, another bl**dy problem is that now I've got to make shedloads of terrain for the little fellas. The upside is that it can be used for all my other 6mm armies as well.

6mm terrain, thats another story. I used to have a storage box full of buildings, woods, forests, roads et al and one evening in the dim past I had a game at a club near here. As usual, the game finished and we packed everything away and I left my box in the one of the large lockers at the centre, meaning to pick it up later. Then I promptly forgot all about it...until about 18 months ago. The problem was that in the intervening period the building had been pulled down -with my terrain box probably being skipped before hand. Still, never mind, I have a load of buildings that I made a good 20 years ago that I found the other day whilst looking for THE BOX OF 15MM ACW that I still cannot find. It's a start.

Fortunately, I have a week off work -holiday that had to be taken before the end of March- so I might even get some pics done of the little so and so's -if the weather behaves of course. Oh, and also some pics of the third unit of Sassy Levy infantry.

2 comments:

Andy McMaster said...

It's not my fault you're weak willed! :)

Will look forward to some pics.

Andy

Subedai said...

First off it was your 15mm Gauls for the base sizes, then it was the 6mm Modern for the paint jobs, what other goodies have you got up your sleeve? If anything, keep it under your hat for a while will you as I haven't finished the Brits yet and haven't even started on the Russians! My painting table -now down to about 6 square inches of usable space with all the stuff on it- hasn't got the room for another project, no matter how small.