Friday 21 April 2017

Yet another new period idea.

Now I am a great admirer of World2Dave and his blog especially his 6mm setup.
 http://themedetianwars.blogspot.co.uk/
 Every so often I will have a look at some of his pictures especially the ongoing Imaginations games between his two pseudo-Renaissance countries of Fleurie and Medetia. I have often thought of doing something like this but without being accused of copying so the Renaissance per se was out. Ancients was too much and far too varied because I really fancied something where both sides were not necessarily evenly matched but their equipment and weapons were on a par. Lace Wars, naaawww -too involved; 19th Century, nope -I already had ACW and am working through the FPW. I wanted something that was not too involved or extensive where I could pick it up every now and again and add bits and pieces when I wanted.
    Long story short, I happened across a programme on BBC4 a couple of weeks ago all about the Condottiere of Late Medieval/Early Renaissance in Italy. It wasn't until afterwards I realised I didn't need to invent nations or armies because this period had it all. I could make up factions of my own size and composition -up to a point- who could face off against or fight with each other whenever I wished and they would be as historically accurate as I could make them but with a definite Imaginations style background. Perfick! So now, not only am I researching early WWII but also checking out the Condittiere. As usual I am only looking to do this as a sideshow rather than a major enterprise but in 6mm who knows where it will end.

No comments: